For those of you who use the Autoptimize and Async JavaScript combination

Get the latest from
Sniffle Valve

Sniffle Valve

Consider buying Sniffle Valve a coffee  

Book a one-on-one online training session

Note: To copy any code presented in these tutorials, hover over the code and select the Toggle RAW Code icon raw code icon

I hope that this will help some of you avoid what I recently went through. I spent the entire Canada Day 150 long weekend trying to track down what was going on with my site!

The setup:
I have the above mentioned products installed on the site.

The issue:
I also have Pastacode installed to nicely display the code snippets I provide, including my *must have option* – display line numbers.

When the above-mentioned two were setup with the recommended settings, the following was happening:
– I could not get the line numbers to display
– the mobile menu (GP + GPP) was hit and miss; mostly miss

I tried every conceivable combination (or so I thought) of settings to see if I could get them to all play together nicely. Nope. It was one or the other: line numbers and flakey mobile menu, or awesome mobile menu and no line numbers.

Finally in frustration, I did the unthinkable … I read the instructions! LOL

Turns out it was ONE checkbox in Async that I had completely not paid attention to as it was a default setting. And that was the fix: Un-check the “Enable Autoptimize Support”!  Presto! I have my line numbers, my mobile menu works like a charm, and, no console errors!  Happy camper

Here are the settings that work for me:

2 thoughts on “For those of you who use the Autoptimize and Async JavaScript combination”

  1. Avatar

    For me, the mobile menu was not working nor any of the animations on mobile. Thank you! This worked instantly! —love your YouTube videos too!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top